Thursday, 27 November 2014
Voller hits out at victorious Monaco
Bayer Leverkusen sporting director Rudi Voller hit out at Monaco after the French side beat the German club 1-0 in the Champions League on Wednesday, describing their playing style and transfer policies as "nothing to do with football".
Zenit St Petersburg’s 1-0 defeat of Benfica earlier in the evening meant the Germans were assured of a place in the last-16 prior to kick-off but they could not capitalise on the party atmosphere at the BayArena as Lucas Ocampos’ 72nd-minute goal settled a tight contest.
The days of lavish spending in Monte Carlo are seemingly over with owner Dmitry Rybolovlev sanctioning the departures of James Rodriguez and Radamel Falcao in the summer but Voller still expected more from the visitors.
He told Sky: "We didn't manage to score a goal in two matches against Monaco. That is not good. But you have to realise how they play.
"It is unbelievable considering how much money they have spent. What they do has nothing to do with football.“
Leverkusen striker Stefan Kiessling steered clear of criticising the victors but admitted the defeat had made it a bittersweet night.
"It's annoying," he said. "When we found out the result of Zenit and Benfica we were even more motivated. Nobody thought before the group stage that we would progress so smoothly.
"But the last step was missing. We have to learn from this match because right now it feels bitter."