Thursday 27 November 2014

AWC top scorer Oparanozie revels at achieving her pre-tournament target

AWC golden boot winner scorer Desire Oparanozie
The striker has said that emerging the highest goal scorer at the African Women Championship was her topmost ambition going to Namibia
EXCLUSIVE | By Okeowo Destiny
2014 African Women Championship top scorer, Desire Oparanozie has told Sportmasta that winning the golden boot with five goals was her most desired target going to Namibia.
Oparanozie, who was part of the 2010 AWC winning Super Falcons in South Africa with three goals, grabbed her fifth goal as Nigeria defeated Cameroon 2-0 in Saturday's final in Windhoek.
The former Delta Queens forward, who currently plays for En Avant Guingamp in France, said she felt overwhelmed winning the African title as a player of the Super Falcons for the second time.
"Sincerely, becoming the highest goal scorer was my personal target coming to this tournament. It's a great feeling for me and I’m happy having accomplished my target," Oparanozie told Sportmasta.
"I feel great. It's always a great feeling being a champion. Conquering Africa as a Nigerian player for the second time is superb - there is no better word to explain it.
"It wasn't wrong for me that my club allowed me to come for this tournament. They have no regret letting me make my country proud as champions of the continent.
She dedicated her top scorer award and gold medal to her club, fans and Nigerians, who supported her and the Super Falcons to emerge champions of Africa for a record seventh time.
"I want to appreciate my club, fans and Nigerians. Especially for their prayers and support for us throughout the tournament.
“I want them to know that all the success is for them - the trophy, the highest goal scorer award - everything is for them," she concluded.
Oparanozie would lead Nigeria's frontline when they represent the continent at the 2015 Fifa Women's World Cup in Canada.

No comments: