Thursday 27 November 2014

Oshoala says winning the 2014 African Women Player of the Year award will crown her year

Asisat Oshoala
The former Falconets and AWC’s Best Player has revealed her dream is to clinch the CAF Women Player for the Year Award for 2014
EXCLUSIVE | By Okeowo Destiny
African Women Championship's Most Valuable Player, Asisat Oshoala has told Sportmasta that it will be an unbelievable dream if she is named the African Women Player of the Year for 2014 by the Confederation of African Football.
Oshoala was voted the Most Valuable Player and won the Silver Boot scoring four goals for champions Nigeria, after they defeated central African rivals Cameroon 2-0 in Saturday's final of the 2014 African Women Championship in Namibia to secure their seventh African title.
The Rivers Angels prodigy, who won the Golden Ball and Golden Boot award with seven goals at the Fifa U20 Women's World Cup in Canada, said she was full of joy helping her country to emerge champions of the continent again as well as being named the best player.
"It will be like a dream come true for me. I will be very happy and extremely excited [to be named the best female player in Africa for 2014]," Oshoala told SPORTMASTA.
The former FC Robo starlet admitted that her main ambition going to Namibia was to prove to the world that her achievements in Canada with the Falconets were not a mere coincidence.
"I will say it just like a dream come true for me - coming to this tournament with a team and not just participating, but coming out as champions of the competition.
"I had a goal that I wanted to come to this competition to prove myself. That what I did at the U20 was not a fluke and that in this competition, I wanted to do better. I'm very happy with my efforts and I did my very best and was rewarded for it,” she admitted.
"I feel very happy and also it's a sign of improvement and in my game as well. In the U20 level, I came out as an MVP and top scorer.
“And coming to the senior level, not just an ordinary tournament, but the [Women's] 'Nations Cup' in the whole of Africa as the Most Valuable Player of the tournament," she continued.
The 20-year-old promised that she and her Super Falcons' teammates will do the country and Africa proud in Canada next year.
"[At] the World Cup, I promise a good outing as a team and also as an individual. A very good performance from me as well," she concluded.

No comments: