Tuesday 14 January 2014

Ronaldo: I deserved the Ballon d'Or


Cristiano Ronaldo claims he is the worthy winner of the Fifa Ballon d'Or after being crowned as the world's best player for 2013 in Zurich on Monday.

The Real Madrid star edged out Barcelona's Lionel Messi and Bayern Munich winger Franck Ribery to collect the award for the second time, five years after his first win when playing for Manchester United.

And he was quick to state that the best man won when speaking to the press afterwards.

"If people gave the award to me, it is probably true that I deserve it. Messi or Ribery deserved the Ballon d'Or too, but I won it. I feel really happy to win the Ballon d'Or and I share this award with Real Madrid," he said.

The 28-year-old went on to explain why he burst into tears upon receiving the award at the Kongresshaus in front of a star-studded audience.

"I saw my mother, and she was crying. I tried to control myself but I cried too," he explained. "My first Ballon d'Or was huge, but this one is more about emotion because I was in front of my mother and my child.

"Ribery is an outstanding player and he deserved to win, as did Messi as well, but I won it."


Ronaldo's win ends a four-year monopoly for Messi since the Portuguese star's previous win in 2008. 

No comments: