Wednesday 31 August 2016

Rooney: I’ve told Man Utd where I want to retire

Wayne Rooney: Man Utd skipper keen to finish at Old Trafford
Wayne Rooney says he has informed Manchester United of his desire to finish his career at Old Trafford.
The Red Devils forward confirmed his decision to stop playing for England after the World Cup in 2018 in a press conference yesterday as the squad turned up for their first training session under new Three Lions boss Sam Allardyce.
Rooney, who is just four goals behind Sir Bobby Charlton’s scoring record for United, has a contract until 2019 at Old Trafford and has told the club’s hierarchy that he wants to remain for the rest of his career.
“I’ve said to United I want to stay there, finish my career there. So it’s a case sitting down with United when the time’s right.
“I’ve still got three years left. When I speak to them, I’ll have a better idea. I hopefully want to finish my career at United.
“Going into the World Cup — hopefully we qualify! — the time will be right, it will be my 15th season playing for England, and in anyone’s terms it’s a long time, so I just felt the time would be right then.”
Rooney has ambitions to become a manager and is doing his badges in preparation for the end of his playing days.
“As a player, an experienced player, I know how to manage my body through training.
“I’m sure if I came here and said I felt a bit tired, I could have a day when I don’t have to train. Other players do it, so that wouldn’t be an issue.
“In the grand scheme of it, I love playing for my country, I feel I can still do it.
“I know if I stopped playing now, during this week I’d have two days at home, I’d be regretting it.
“The time will probably be right in two years, and hopefully I can enjoy the next two years, and do a bit better.
“I’d like to (go into management) of course. I’ve spent my whole life playing football and I think it would be a shame to walk away form it completely.
“I feel I’ve got a lot of experience behind me and when I do finish playing I would like to stay in the game at some level.
“I’m doing my badges – it’s a long time. But I’m doing it and I’m enjoying it. I’m just trying to get them done why I’m still playing really.”

No comments: