Tuesday, 25 February 2014

Khan: Maidana a poor substitute

Amir Khan insists Floyd Mayweather will take up the less threatening option after snubbing him to fight Marcos Maidana.
Khan took to Twitter last week to announce Mayweather would next face Maidana - whom he beat in 2010. Khan also topped Maidana in an online poll organised by WBC welterweight and light-middleweight champion Mayweather for fans to choose his next opponent.
Mayweather's camp insist an opponent has still not been picked for the bout, scheduled to take place on May 3 in Las Vegas
Khan signed a contract for the bout in December and began training in California in January, having been advised to pull out of a planned fight against Devon Alexander for the IBF welterweight title.
"I really believe Mayweather is going to walk right through him and beat him to every punch," Khan told fighthype.com.
"No disrespect to Maidana, but he is not even on the same level and you can't even say it is going to be a fight. It's not like he is fighting Canelo [Saúl Álvarez], who's a big strong guy, Mayweather is going to be used to a small, little guy.
"I just think it's wrong, they should have at least called me and said this isn't going to happen and they should have given me an indication of what is going on.
"I've been in camp for a long time, training non-stop. I really thought I had it, but unfortunately it's Maidana and I wish him all the best.
"I made the decision for him. I'm not going to be an opponent that they're going to dangle a carrot to and keep me, my fans, and everyone waiting. It's wrong. I've been in the driving seat, I've dictated fights, but I have never done this to my opponents. That's disrespect, and I'd never do that."
Eddie Hearn has offered Khan - who has not fought since April last year, when he beat Julio Diaz on points - £3 million to face unbeaten welterweight Kell Brook.


Post a Comment