Thursday 27 February 2014

Drogba: I wish I'd scored against Chelsea

Drogba: I wish I'd scored against Chelsea Didier Drogba has stressed he would have loved to score in Galatasaray's 1-1 draw with Chelsea on Wednesday, but insists the result was a good one.

Fernando Torres opened the scoring for the Blues before Aurelien Chedjou equalised in the second half as the spoils were shared in the first leg of the Champions League last-16 encounter.

Drogba admits it was "special" to face his old Chelsea team-mates and believes Roberto Mancini's side are fully capable of achieving a positive result in the return leg at Stamford Bridge.

"It was a special game to play against my team-mates," he told Sky Sports. "It was a great game, a good result, Chelsea are a better team on paper but we showed we can cause them problems.

"We will now go to Stamford Bridge and hope to get a result.

"I had to keep my emotions to one side, it was like an old day training at Cobham against your team-mates. I wish I had scored but there's another game to come so we'll see.

"It will be difficult going to Chelsea but it's possible to qualify. They are good on the counterattack and we were naive, but 1-1 is not a bad result for us."

Wesley Sneijder, who set up Galatasaray's equaliser, conceded he did not see as much of the ball as he wanted in his position on the left of attack but is confident he can impose himself further in the return leg in March.

"In the first half, everything went over the right flank. During half-time I said we had to play more on the left and so we did," he told Sportmasta.

"My position on the left side is nice when you get the ball a lot, but tonight it wasn't. In that case I have to work more for my team, but this is the second round of the Champions League so you always have to work hard. Especially when you face Chelsea.

"I think the result was deserved. In the return leg I hope I can get the ball a lot more. I feel that I'm in great shape, but my role in the team is a bit different. I have to sacrifice myself for the team. When we lose the ball I have to return to my position, but I think that's going very well."

No comments: