Friday 8 July 2016

Amber Hill: Shooter learned from 'horrendous technique'

Amber Hill
Shooter Amber Hill says recognising that her technique was "horrendous" has helped her gain consistency.
The 2013 Young Sports Personality of the Year won 2015 European skeet gold and is in the Rio 2016 Olympic squad.
"When I first started, my technique was horrendous. I don't know how I managed to shoot," Hill, 18, said.
"That's why in 2014 we decided to strip things back. My scores went back, but it's made me a stronger athlete and I'm a lot more consistent with my scores."
She became the youngest winner of a senior World Cup in skeet shooting at the age of 15 in 2013, and finished that season ranked number one senior in Great Britain and number five in the world.
And after changing her technique with coach Joe Neville, last year Hill won the skeet title at the inaugural European Games in Baku and also claimed victory at the World Cup final in Cyprus.
Windsor-born Hill, who trains in Buckinghamshire, is part of a six-strong Team GB squad for Rio 2016.
"You've got to go for gold (at Rio), otherwise why are you there?" she told BBC Three Counties Radio.
"As long as I go there and know I've done everything possible to make it happen on the day and enjoy myself I'll be happy.
"There's a lot of nerves in it but it's all about keeping mentally strong and relying on everything you've done in the past. You've just got to trust yourself."

No comments: