Wednesday 27 August 2014

Benatia: Guardiola desperately wanted me at Bayern

Benatia: Guardiola desperately wanted me at Bayern
The Morocco international has revealed that the Bayern coach's desire to sign him proved to be crucial in the end
Mehdi Benatia has stressed that joining Bayern Munich is a dream come true for him and he's delighted to get the chance to work with head coach Pep Guardiola at his new club.

The Bundesliga champions announced on Tuesday that they have reached an agreement with Roma over the transfer of the 27-year-old, with Benatia set to sign a five-year deal with Bayern upon completion of his medical later this week.

"I am very happy that my transfer to Bayern is happening at last," the centre-back told Sportmasta.

"The move dragged on for a bit and at some point I feared that it could fall through.

"But Guardiola desperately wanted me at Bayern and an agreement was eventually reached. Guardiola is a fantastic trainer and I am looking forward to working with him.

"Bayern have a lot of amazing players and it is a dream come true to be part of this great squad."

Bayern were keen to sign an extra defender after Javi Martinez was ruled out of action for several months due to a knee injury.

Benatia joined Roma from Udinese in the summer of 2013 and previously wore the jerseys of Clermont, Lorient, Tours and Olympique de Marseille.

No comments: