Monday 17 August 2015

I could have earned more money by leaving Real Madrid

Ramos: I could have earned more money by leaving Real Madrid
 Sergio Ramos says that he could have earned more money elsewhere had he left Real Madrid rather than signing a new five-year deal at the Santiago Bernabeu.

The Spain defender - who will captain Los Blancos this season following Iker Casillas' summer departure for Porto - put pen to paper on a contract extension on Monday following weeks of speculation that he was close to agreeing a lucrative move to Manchester United after allegedly falling out with club president Florentino Perez.

However, Ramos, who joined Madrid from Sevilla in 2005, insists that financial considerations played no part in his decision to commit his future to the capital club until 2020.

"Honestly, if it was an economic decision, I wouldn't have stayed," the 29-year-old said at a news conference on Monday. "I could have earned more elsewhere.

"It wasn't a question of money, there were personal and professional things we had to organise.

"I've never spoken of my renewal but obviously, with a contract that had two years to go, whatever the press want to say I respect.

"I wasn't happy in certain ways but I never said I wanted to leave. I spoke to who I needed to speak to but I couldn't continue how I was. Those personal things are nothing to do with money.

"The economic situation - the president [Florentino Perez] and I solved that in five minutes. There were other things to talk about.

"I'm not going to talk about money. That never motivated me - happiness and family motivated me.

"I never said I wanted to leave, my idea was always to be here. I wanted to retire here if the president allowed me.

"I'm very thankful I have a new challenge to be captain of this team and I will do it in the most honest way."

Ramos etched his name into Madrid folklore with the equaliser in the 2014 Champions League final against Atletico Madrid, before Gareth Bale, Marcelo and Cristiano Ronaldo secured 'La Decima' in extra time.

When it was suggested that Blancos fans could turn against him due to the recent United links, he added: "I think they've always given me the same affection. I've never felt anything untowards in the stadium.

"The love from the fans has been important to me staying. They ask a lot but the players know the pressure and the responsibility - obviously I have the same affection.

"Out of respect for the club I've been quiet [through the negotiations]. Throughout my career I've given everything for this club and I will do the same over the next five years.

"We all know the demands at this club but I'm ready for this responsibility to make sure every Madridista is happy."

No comments: