Thursday 29 May 2014

Tennis. Andy Murray set for French Open match with 'funny guy' Matosevic

Andy Murray
Britain's Andy Murray will be facing a relieved man when he plays Australian Marinko Matosevic in round two of the French Open on Thursday.
The pair meet on Court One at around 14:00 BST, while Heather Watson follows against fourth seed Simona Halep.
A thrilled Matosevic rolled in the clay after beating Dustin Brown on Tuesday to win his first Grand Slam match at the 13th attempt.
"It was an interesting celebration," said Murray.

Murray's French Open record

  • 2013 - DNP
  • 2012 - Quarter-finals
  • 2011 - Semi-final
  • 2010 - Fourth round
  • 2009 - Quarter-finals
  • 2008 - Third round
  • 2007 - DNP
  • 2006 - First round
"I have not seen that before. I get on very well with Marinko. He's a funny guy. He's a good ball striker, he can play good tennis. He's a strong guy. It will be tough."
Murray won their only previous match, on the grass of Queen's Club last year, but the 28-year-old Australian will go into Thursday's match in high spirits after finally ending his Grand Slam slump.
"You feel like there is a huge gorilla off your shoulders," said Matosevic, ranked 66th. "It's just relief more than anything else. Hopefully it can free me up now."
Murray, 27, is seeded seventh in Paris after slipping down the rankings following back surgery last September, but he remains as motivated as ever to contend for the major titles.
"I felt once I had my surgery was when I started looking forward again," he told BBC Sport.
"The way I train in the gym is tough, it's hard. I enjoy that and getting into shape to perform over five sets in the tournaments, and my goal is to try to win Grand Slams. That's what motivates me.
"Some people think number one should be my goal but what motivates me is Grand Slams, so I want to get myself in the best possible shape to win another one if I can."

Watson's French Open record

  • 2013 - First round
  • 2012 - Second round
  • 2011 - Second round
Watson is brimming with optimism ahead of her encounter with Romania's Halep, arguably the form player in women's tennis over the last year after Serena Williams.
The pair met at the US Open in 2013, with Halep prevailing in three sets, but Watson is on a run of nine consecutive wins as she employs a more attacking style.
"If anything, I'll try to be more aggressive against a player like that, so solid, so high up in the rankings, doing so well," said the 22-year-old from Guernsey.
"You're not going to get free points. You have to win those matches. That's what I'm going to have to do.
"I'm not going to hope for her to miss, because she's not going to miss."

No comments: