Thursday 14 July 2016

New boy Karius hints at Liverpool No. 1 role

Loris Karius: New Liverpool keeper
New Liverpool goalkeeper Loris Karius has given up his place at the Olympics because he believes he can be the club’s first-choice goalkeeper.
The 23-year-old  signed for the Reds this summer in a £4.7million deal from Bundesliga side Mainz and he said from day one that his aim was to become Jurgen Klopp’s No. 1. And the former Man City man has once again claimed he has not come to Liverpool “to sit on the bench” after knocking back the chance to play for Germany in Brazil this summer.
Karuis, after speaking with Klopp, has ruled himself out of this summer’s Olympic Games, which is the biggest hint yet that he will start the  season against Arsenal ahead of Simon Mignolet.
Karius told the Daily Star: “I spoke with the manager and we said that it doesn’t make sense for me to go to the Olympics as I would miss the first two league games of the season and of course I want to play in them.
“It’s more important that I am available for the start of the season. We agreed together I wouldn’t be going (to Rio). First I spoke with Jurgen and then together we spoke with the German people who wanted me to go.
“The priority is the club. It’s more important that I am available for the start of the season. Of course I know that a club like this has more competition. It’s a bigger club and better players means more competition.
“I am not scared or anything. If I was, I wouldn’t have come here. I have a good feeling.
loris
“I wouldn’t come here just to sit on the bench. That doesn’t make sense for me. I’m not a keeper who hasn’t shown his ability. I know I am a good goalkeeper and I’ve shown that a lot.
“I could have stayed at Mainz and played there. If I wasn’t sure I could come and play here this season, I wouldn’t have done it.”
Karius was handed the No. 1 shirt at Anfield when he signed a five-year deal in May and he looks certain to give Mignolet a run for his money this season.

No comments: