Ten contenders have been shortlisted for next month's 60th BBC Sports Personality of the Year award.Athletes Mo Farah, Christine Ohuruogu and Hannah Cockroft are included along with tennis star Andy Murray and cyclist Chris Froome.
Sports Personality of the Year 2013 shortlist expert panel
- Director of BBC Sport - Barbara Slater (Chair)
- BBC head of TV Sport - Philip Bernie
- Executive editor of BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Carl Doran
- From BBC Radio 5 live - Mark Pougatch (presenter, 5 live Sport)
- Three newspaper sports editors (to be rotated annually) - in 2013, Alison Kervin (Mail on Sunday), Adam Sills (Daily Telegraph), Dominic Hart (Mirror)
- A multi-sport broadcaster/journalist - Sue Barker
- Three former Sports Personality nominees (to be appointed annually) - in 2013, Baroness Grey-Thompson , Dame Kelly Holmes and Marcus Trescothick
- Liz Nicholl, chief executive of UK Sport
Golfer Justin Rose, sailor Sir Ben Ainslie, jockey AP McCoy, cricketer Ian Bell and rugby union player Leigh Halfpenny also make the list.The public will vote for their favourite on Sunday, 15 December.
Voting for the main award will be by phone and, for the first time, online during the programme, which will be presented by Gary Lineker, Clare Balding and Gabby Logan.
In front of an expected 12,000 crowd at the First Direct Arena in Leeds, the latest name to join an illustrious roll of honour will be announced.
With an array of candidates to choose from, an expert panel faced some difficult choices finalising the shortlist.
Ainslie helped mastermind an America's Cup sailing victory, Bell won cricket's Ashes with England, and there were World Championship doubles for athletes Cockroft (wheelchair racing) and Farah (5,000m and 10,000m).
Froome ruled in cycling's Tour de France, Halfpenny starred in the British and Irish Lions' triumphant tour of Australia and McCoy rode an unprecedented 4,000th winner.
Murray ended Britain's 77-year wait for a Wimbledon men's singles winner, Ohuruogu regained her world 400m title and Rose secured his maiden golf major at the US Open.
In addition to the main prize, there will also be seven other awards:
- Team of the Year
- Coach of the Year
- Overseas Sports Personality of the Year
- Young Sports Personality of the Year
- Sports Personality of the Year Diamond Award
- Helen Rollason Award
- Sports Unsung Hero
Baroness Grey-Thompson, Dame Kelly Holmes and Marcus Trescothick were joined by Liz Nicholl, chief executive of UK Sport, and representatives from the BBC and the newspaper industry.
The panel was put together following criticism of an all-male list decided via a different method in 2011.
To see a Vine announcing the 10 nominees for BBC Sports Personality of the Year click here.