Monday 11 July 2016

Andy Murray: Wimbledon champion says 'best tennis is ahead of me'

Image result for Andy Murray
Britain's Andy Murray says he hopes he is yet to reach the best part of his career, after beating Milos Raonic to win his second Wimbledon title.
The world number two has won two previous Grand Slam titles - the 2012 US Open and Wimbledon in 2013.
"I still feel like my best tennis is ahead of me, that I have an opportunity to win more," said the 29-year-old, who beat Raonic 6-4 7-6 (7-3) 7-6 (7-2).
"Everyone's time comes at different stages. Hopefully mine is to come."
Murray's victory was his third in 11 Grand Slam final appearances, and he said each of his previous final defeats - all against Novak Djokovic or Roger Federer - had contributed to his success.
"Failing's not terrible," added the Scot. "I put myself in a position all of the time in these events to win them but haven't won them all of the time. I've lost a lot of close ones against great players most of the time.
"Learning from my losses is something I've done throughout most of my career.
"I think the last three months have been some of the best I've played in terms of consistency." Image result for Andy Murray

Second time around

Murray's Wimbledon win in 2013 ended Britain's 77-year wait for a men's singles champion, and he said his latest success was more enjoyable without that statistic hanging over him.
"I feel happier this time, more content," he said.
"Last time it was just pure relief, and I didn't really enjoy the moment as much, whereas I'm going to make sure I enjoy this one.
"I feel like this is for myself more than anything, and my team as well. We've all worked really hard to help get me in this position."
Murray's mother Judy, a former captain of Great Britain's Fed Cup team, said 2016 was "just as special but not quite so stressful" as 2013.
"From being a very promising junior to getting where he got to, there was a constant, 'When are you going to win Wimbledon?'," she said.
"It was just relief when he actually did it so I think he will be able to enjoy this one a whole lot more."

The Lendl effect

Murray was reunited with coach Ivan Lendl - who oversaw his other Grand Slam titles - last month.
The Scot, who won a record fifth Queen's title in their first tournament back together, paid tribute to Lendl, himself an eight-time Grand Slam champion, in the wake of his latest All England triumph.
"He's a leader," he said. "I trust in what he says, mainly because of the results we had the last time we worked together.
"I played my best tennis under him. He was always trying to get me to play more offensive tennis. I did that and got results from it."
Lendl said he hoped to still be in Murray's players' box for his title defence in a year's time.
He added: "Maybe it looked comfortable for you but with a server like Milos you can't let up for one second.
"The match was just one break of serve the entire match, and so the focus Andy had to have was fantastic."http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/624/cpsprodpb/16228/production/_90346609_lendl_rex.jpg

Davis Cup appearance on hold

Murray played a key role as Great Britain beat Belgium to win the Davis Cup last year - the first time they have done so since 1936.
His team-mates have already arrived in Belgrade before their quarter-final tie with Serbia, but Murray said he would wait until Monday before deciding whether to join them.
"I'm going to speak to captain Leon Smith about that," he said.
"You feel like you could play another five matches right now. But when I wake up, it will be a bit different."
World number one Novak Djokovic ruled himself out of the tie after his Wimbledon third-round defeat by Sam Querrey.

No comments: