Wednesday 8 October 2014

Emem Eduok excited with first Nigeria call-up

Emem Eduok excited with first Nigeria call-up
New invitee Emem Eduok has expressed delight at his first ever senior national team invitation to the Super Eagles for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying double-header against Sudan.

Edouk, who was picked as a late replacement for injured Stoke Ciy winger Victor Moses, spoke to Sportmasta about his excitement securing his first international call-up for his country.

The Dolphins attacker admitted he had waited in patience for the opportunity and is fully prepared to grab it with both hands when given his international debut.

The 20-year-old, who featured for the Flying Eagles at the 2013 Fifa U20 World Cup against Cuba and Korea Republic, said he is unfazed by the challenge for a starting place in the team.

Eduok has notched a total of 12 goals in the league for Dolphins and 15 in all competition this season including three in the Federation Cup with his club in the final to face defending champions Enyimba.

"First and foremost, I have to thank God for this opprtunity becuase as an upcoming player, our desire is to represent the country at the national or international level," Edouk told Sportmasta on his arrival at the Super Eagles camp on Monday.

"That's what every talented footballer wants to achieve. I'm very happy and hungry to play. I've been waiting for it a long time and been working hard for the opportunity to come.

"I just have to give my best and leave the rest to God. I believe so much in myself as a talented player. So now I need to put in my best to justify the call-up.

"I know it will be tough competing in attack with the likes of Salami and others. They are good players and I have great respect for them.

"Football has its language, if you believe in yourself and the talent God has given to you. And I know I will always do my best irrespective of who I will be playing against in attack," he concluded.

Eduok will be hopeful for his first international debut for the African champions in the crunch duels at the Khartoum Stadium, Omdurman on Saturday and the National Stadium, Abuja on Wednesday respectively against Sudan.

Nigeria, who have only a point from two games, require a two-leg victory against Sudan to brighten their dreams to defend the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations title they won in South Africa.

No comments: