Friday 20 December 2013

Football. I don't care whether Ronaldo attends Ballon d'Or gala

Ribery: I don't care whether Ronaldo attends Ballon d'Or gala
The France international is only thinking about himself and has admitted that the decision to extend the voting deadline could hurt his chances
Bayern Munich winger Franck Ribery has insisted that he does not care whether or not Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo will attend next month's Fifa Ballon d'Or gala in Zurich.

Much has been made of the Portugal star's potential absence from the event following a conflict with Fifa president Sepp Blatter, but Ribery has made it clear that Ronaldo's final decision on whether to travel to Switzerland or not is not of any interest to him.

"I have not been in touch with Ronaldo and I have not discussed him with any colleagues either. Why should I? I don't care whether he attends the gala," Ribery told Sportmasta.

"I feel honoured to be among the final three candidates and that's why it's only logical for me that I will travel to Zurich."

Ribery did admit, though, that the decision by Fifa and France Football to extend the voting deadline for the prestigious award could well hurt his chance of collecting the main prize.

"I think it's the first time since the introduction of the award that they have extended the voting deadline. It's obviously a shame for me and could be a disadvantage.

"I do not have any fear, though. I am calm about the outcome."

The winner of the Fifa Ballon d'Or will be announced on January 13.

No comments: