Wednesday 4 November 2015

Lampard: Why England wasted my partnership with Gerrard

Lampard: Why England wasted my partnership with Gerrard
The midfielder is still at a loss as to why him and the former Liverpool man failed to click for England, but says they were let down my a succession of managers
Frank Lampard admits he has regrets over his England career and his inability to form an effective midfield partnership with Steven Gerrard.

The pair - who now ply their trade in MLS for New York City FC and LA Galaxy respectively - were talismanic figures for Chelsea and Liverpool but didn't click together at international level.

A succession of England managers failed to get the best out of the two men while playing in the same side, though Lampard believes more could have been done by the coaches he played under.

He told Sky Sports' 'Monday Night Football': "I think there were times when they [England managers] could have done something different. I certainly would take personal responsibility if I don’t reach certain levels.

"I think there were times when we could have been managed better, there could have been a way to get the best out of us.
"When we were both in our prime playing regularly for Chelsea and Liverpool, scoring goals, being involved heavily, we went away with England sometimes and you’d play in a 4-4-2, Stevie’s asked to sit, Stevie’s on the left.

"I played with Capello for years in the holding role and I was never playing like that for Chelsea ever. There was something missing, I felt, when I look back at my England career.

"I don’t know what it is, maybe it’s because we play against each other every week and there’s little groups, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea.

"And when you’re Argentinian, and they are all playing all over the world, they come home, it’s a big family, and there’s a different spirit. I’m not sure we ever managed to get that together."

No comments: