Saturday 26 April 2014

Rodgers wants new contract

Brendan Rodgers: Has guided Liverpool to a five-point lead at the top of the tableLiverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says he is confident that he will sign a new deal and remain at the club for the long-term.
The 41-year-old was given a three-year contract in the summer of 2012 and has now led them to the brink of a first league title for 24 years.
And, speaking ahead of Sunday's crucial match at home to Chelsea, Rodgers suggested that he was likely to sign an extension over the summer.
"There is no doubt that, at some point, we will agree another deal," said Rodgers. "I am sure of that.
"This is a giant of a club in the football world and to be able to build it up again and see how the supporters, and also the general public, are enjoying Liverpool, is great.
"I knew it was a huge club, but it is not until you become a part of it that you actually realise how big."
Liverpool are five points clear of Chelsea going into Sunday's game and defeat at Anfield would eliminate Jose Mourinho's side from Premier League title contention.

Rodgers thankful to Mourinho

Rodgers worked for Mourinho during the Portuguese manager's first spell at Stamford Bridge, running the academy before taking charge of the reserve team.
And Rodgers says Mourinho advised him to take the Liverpool job when the opportunity arose.
"He's been supportive of me wherever I have been, even in my time here," said Rodgers.
"We might be considered a rival but I know that, if they didn't win the league, he would want us to win it.
"I was always going to appear somewhere and thankfully it was at Liverpool.
"I was talking to him about a choice I maybe had. He told me to take the job and what a great club Liverpool was. He encouraged me about the sheer scale of the club."

No comments: