Friday 24 July 2015

Courtois: Cech is a Chelsea legend, but don't compare us

Courtois: Cech is a Chelsea legend, but don't compare us
Thibaut Courtois says Petr Cech's departure marks a "new era" at Chelsea and does not want to be compared to his former team-mate.

The 33-year-old ended an 11-year spell at Stamford Bridge with a £14 million (€20m) move to Arsenal earlier in July, having fallen down the pecking order following Thibaut Courtois's promotion to first-choice keeper.
Courtois acknowledges the "legend" status Cech has had bestowed on him by the fans after winning 15 trophies since his 2004 arrival, but is confident of the team's achievements going forward.

"Petr was a Chelsea legend and he has more support from the fans, maybe," he told reporters.

"But I will always do my best for the team. Last season went well, winning the League Cup and Premier League, and hopefully we can win more trophies and defend the title."

Courtois, though, is wary of being compared to Cech, and is keen to avoid this happening as Mourinho builds a younger new guard to build on the Premier League and League Cup double won last season.
He added: "What Petr did with Chelsea was exceptional. I hope to get as many trophies as he did, but I am not staring at his tally.

"Of course I hope to win as many trophies as I can, but I will not look to what Petr did. What he did with Chelsea was something great, alongside Didier Drogba, Frank Lampard and John Terry.
"Now it's the new era. I don't want to be compared with Petr. I am a new player, another keeper and I'm going a different way."

No comments: